Thursday, March 18, 2010

Argg!! Enough procrastinating

Just to get myself back into the talking to myself groove, I'm going to do another "books you should read" blog... but only 5 this time.

1) The tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo: A Great children's book(or Young Adult as they call it). I am looking forward to reading this one out loud with the children. Adventure and action galore with a misty old-timey fairy tale feel.

2) The Chrysalids, by John Wyndham: This is actually a book I should re-read, as it has been a while. I remember it as a very well done future dystopia. Lots of tension and mystery. Civilization thrown back into the dark ages.

3) The princess Bride, by William Goldman: Any time I meet a fellow book lover I tell them to read this book. It is an example of writing perfection (my opinion of it). I love the use of fictionally breaking through the fourth wall. Great story, awesome execution.

4) The Hunger Games Trilogy, Suzanne Collins: This is another "Young Adult" series that is fairly popular and has a good story. The writing is mediocre and sometimes the characters are just not as good as they should be, but the story is great. So far I have read two of the three books (last book due in Aug) and the second book is a huge improvement, if the third book is as good as the second I will be happy.

5) The wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum: I was hesitant to start this one, the movie being not so good. Often the movie is not so good, so I gave it a shot and surprise, the book is great! Elizabeth is sitting through entire chapters often asking for more when I stop. The sign of a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment