Friday, June 18, 2010

More BOOKS!

It's been a while since I spoke of the books in my life. I have been on an excellent streak of books so here are a few of them.

1) First off, from the spawn of Stephen King, Joe Hill. His second novel, and far superior to his first outing, Horns. I was somewhat hesitant to start this one after the major disappointment of his first book, Heart Shaped Box. My expectations where high, he is Stephen Kings son after all, but the book just didn't take off, it had the speed, just not the wings.

Horns on the other hand feels like the work of a pro, with characters I cared about, and little details that just suckered me in. I don't like going into plot descriptions so I won't. The writing is what I care about, and this is one well written book.

2) The boy in the stripped pyjamas. I know this is a movie as well, I have yet to see it. The book is above par for a children's novel. It touches on very important moral and ethical issues and though sometimes in a ham handed way, I occasionally had to remind myself this was a book for 12ish year olds. I look forward to reading this one with the kids and talking with them about it.

3) Tevyeh the dairyman. The basis for the play and movie Fiddler on the Roof, this book is amazing. The style is funny and very Jewish (many praises to God, lots of sarcasm) and incredibly easy to read. If I had one word to describe this it would be refreshing. Why? Go read, you will see.

4) The Case for God. I am halfway through this and so far I am very impressed. It is a history of the human relationship with the idea of gods from the earliest of recorded human history. It can occasionally get a little dry, but if you are interested in ethics, philosophy, theology, god psychology, spirituality, religion etc etc. then this book is for you!

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment